A fire broke out at Mahallah Ali last night at its cafeteria, reportedly sparked by a gas leak.
As of now, no official statements have been released with regards to the cause of fire and the total cost of damages. However, it can be reported that no casualties are involved.
A student from the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences, Mohammad Danial bin Mohd Yusof, reported that the fire started at exactly 9.08 pm. He said that he was in the midst of placing an order when the café worker was seen scurrying out of the kitchen.
Another witness, Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences student, Syed Muhammad Salleh bin Syed Nasir said that an explosion was heard coming from the kitchen. After the loud sound, the fire quickly spread throughout the kitchen.
Students quickly fled the scene with some giving a hand in efforts to control the fire. With the assistance that was at hand, the blaze managed to be controlled and extinguished by the café workers and students.
Further reports mentioned that Deputy Rector of Student Affairs, Prof. Dato’ Dr. Mizan Hitam was quick to arrive at the scene along with the police and fire fighters.
News on the shocking event flooded the net with many sharing their concerns and questions on the cause of the fire.
Rukaini Kamarudin stated that incident was caused by the accidental removal of the gas cylinder cap.
Fortunately, the fire was brought under control before the fire brigade arrived at the scene.
At 1AM, SRC Member Che Faizal Amir Che Mat reported that café staff was still up moving items to safety.