Malaysia placed under another nationwide MCO – PM

By Hakim Mahari

KUALA LUMPUR, 11 May 2021: Malaysia will be imposing a nationwide movement control order (MCO) beginning on Wednesday (May 12) until 7 June to stem the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the country, Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced on Monday. 

The Prime Minister said in a statement that the decision was taken by the National Security Council – the decision-making body on the pandemic – during a meeting chaired by him earlier. 

This is the third major shutdown imposed since the onset of the pandemic in Malaysia, and will likely be the strictest since March last year when much of Malaysia’s economy was shuttered. 

Tan Sri Muhyiddin said economic activities will continue throughout the country, but all social activities, events, dining-in at restaurants, and inter-district and inter-state travel are banned. 

Travel across state and district lines is only allowed for work, emergencies, medical appointments, visiting spouses and for vaccination appointments. 

Only selective outdoor exercises are allowed under the new order, which will last until 7 June, the Prime Minister said.

The Prime Minister stressed that the government has decided to take stricter steps to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the community and to prevent cases from rising sharply. 

“Data and science continued to show that assembly activities that made social distancing difficult and the presence of people in congested spaces are major causes of COVID-19 transmission. 

“The infection chain of COVID-19 can only be broken by encouraging the people to stay at home through strict movement controls,” the Prime Minister added.

The announcement comes just days before Hari Raya Aidilfitri which will be celebrated on Thursday at the end of the fasting month.***

Hakim Mahari

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *