By Nurina Farzana Zahra
PETALING JAYA, 17 April 2020: With the aim to enhance employability among IIUM graduates, CIMB Virtual Career Fair 2020 was held on Wednesday and Thursday (15 and 16 April).
The programme was brought by Counselling and Career Services Centre (CCSC), International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) in collaboration with CIMB.
Among the activities of the Career Fair were career talk and online recruitment interviews conducted by CIMB.
The career talk session was led by a prominent executive of CIMB management team with experience in recruitment of graduates. Ms. Mona Abu Bakar, the Director of Regional Employer Branding and Graduate Talent Management, gave a talk on the topic “Welcome to CIMB – Career with a purpose”.
In her session, she shared several of tips to students who are looking for job. Among the tips are:
1. Basic Public Relations skill (Pitching)
Pitching is about how you sell and position yourself. It is an advertisement about you. In this pitching time, one must tell the interviewer something unique about yourself that others do not have. The details in the pitch include contact details, qualification and experience, skillset and key strength, achievement and awards received.
2. Having an online profile
Having a LinkedIn profile is important because it is a professional platform where it is work related.
3. Understanding of the recruitment process
Certain companies have different process of recruitment and it is important to know the process as it will help the graduates to prepare themselves. In addition, certain companies have certain qualities that they want from graduates, for example, research knowledge on the company beforehand is important.
4. CV (Curriculum Vitae) must consist of brief details about yourself
5. Curate and manage your online presence wisely
Impression is really important in looking for a job.
Ms. Mona also advise graduates they need not worry if they do not intern at a big company as it is not a minus point at all.
“All experience is a good experience especially when dealing with customers” she added
Ms. Mona also gave other tips when doing online interview and online assessment, which are:
- Find a suitable venue and time where you can focus on completing it. Treat like an exam!
- Competency Based Interview (CBI) where a recruiter is looking for evidence on what you claim you are. Get ready with strong evidence in hand!
- In doing virtual interview, one must remember that it is different from being in presence physically. Practise to speak clearly and manage your pace.
“To stand out among others, graduates must have AQ (Adaptability Quotient) which are; IQ (Intelligent Quotient), EQ (Emotional Quotient) and DQ (Digital Quotient),” she told the audience.
The career talk was held on Wednesday (15 April) at 11:00 am on website named cimbvirtualtour.seedsjob.com. Three universities involved in the programme were IIUM, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) and University of Nottingham.
The career talk ended with a Q & A session from the audience.
Among the skillsets that CIMB is looking for are:
- Ability to learn
- Courageous and Honest
- Collaborative ability
- Problem solver
- Digital savvy
For further information regarding job opportunity in CIMB, you may click the link: https://careers.cimb.com/ ***
- Preparing alumni to brace for changes and challenges of the future - October 13, 2020
- Be Wealthy’s Cashflow Gameshow aims to educate students on financial literacy - September 26, 2020
- CIMB gives important tips for job seekers - April 17, 2020