By Norashikin Azizan
GOMBAK, 16 March 2020: Malaysia will be implementing the Movement Restriction Order nationwide beginning 18 March until 31 March due to the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic.
Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced this during a live special address on television at 10 p.m. last night.
He emphasised that this is a safety precaution in response to the second wave of the Covid-19 in Malaysia and the drastic increase of cases recently.
The Movement Restriction Order which is made under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 and Police Act 1967 is not a military lockdown according to Tan Sri Muhyiddin.
The Order includes:
- Restrictions on all public movement and mass gatherings of all purposes – social, religious, sporting, or cultural. All businesses will not be operating except shops selling food and daily necessities. For Muslims, religious activities and gatherings including Friday prayers are suspended in line with the decision made on 15th March 2020.
- All Malaysian citizens who have just returned from overseas are required to undergo medical check-ups or perform self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Foreign tourists will not be allowed to enter the country.
- Closure of educational institutions including kindergarten, public and private schools, all residential schools, international schools as well as all higher education institutions and vocational training institutes.
- Only essential public and private services such as water, electricity, energy, communications, post, pharmacy, airport, transport, oil and gas, finance, defence, and food supply will be allowed to operate.
“Citizens are advised to remain calm and patient as the government is doing its very best to curb the spread of the pandemic,” said the Prime Minister.
He also reminded the citizens to be responsible by observing the Order at all times. ***
- Malaysian PM announces Movement Restriction Order beginning 18 March - March 16, 2020
- Seeing Doubles: Twins receive Arabic Language and Literature Degree - November 26, 2019
- Strong will, resilience, adaptability, key to produce realist and futurist students - October 17, 2019