By Hakim Mahari
KUALA LUMPUR, 18 February 2021: The movement control order (MCO) is extended for another two weeks, but not for the entire country effectively tomorrow.
The extension is from 19 February to 4 March and affects Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Penang and Johor.
Senior Minister for Security, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the decision was made following risk assessment and analysis by the Health Ministry presented during the National Security Council (Majlis Keselamatan Negara) special meeting on COVID-19 today.
Meanwhile, other states and Federal Territories previously under the MCO will return to the conditional movement control order (CMCO).
Sabah, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Terengganu, Kelantan, Perak, Melaka, Kedah, Labuan and Putrajaya will be under CMCO from 19 February to 4 March.
Perlis is the only state to be placed under the recovery movement control order (RMCO) for the same period as it has recorded a drop in the number of daily COVID-19 cases.
As for Sarawak, the state remains under CMCO from 15 February to 1 March as previously announced by the state government.
“In general, the Health Ministry said that there has been a downward trend in COVID-19 cases in many states from the fifth week of the year, two weeks after MCO 2.0 was enforced.
“The ministry has also confirmed that there was a downward trend in cases due to the ban on interstate travels from 3 February.”
“However, COVID-19 cases remain high in several states, especially in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang,” he said in a press conference.
Ismail Sabri also announced that the two persons per table limit for dining in MCO areas would continue. However, the restriction has been lifted for CMCO and RMCO areas subject to capacity and the one-meter physical distancing condition.***
- TACK 2020: KIRKHScommitted to serving the Ummah - June 22, 2021
- Syarifuddin makes Malaysia proud at FIM CEV Moto3 Race in Barcelona - June 14, 2021
- PTPTN repayments deferred for three months until 31 August - June 11, 2021