By Puteri Balkish
GOMBAK, 30 March 2018 – After numerous negotiations with the Students’ Representative Council (SRC) and the Office of Security Management (OSEM), the university’s top management had reached an agreement to enforce a new Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the Automatic Lane Barrier (ALB) beginning last week.
Previously, a number of drawbacks spurred from the disorganised implementation of ALB, had caused tension and stress among campus community. However, there were still minor issues to be addressed such as the visitor and motorcyclist entrance and exit following the enforcement of the system.
“Even now, in this tenure, we are seeing that the issue is not totally resolved because there is still congestion even outside of peak hours. In that sense, our work is still unfinished,” said the President of SRC, Amir Ridwan.
He said that if the ALB keeps disrupting traffic movement, the SRC might propose for ALB to only be executed at hours without congestion, but at the moment, they are tackling apparent issues one at a time until the problems are sorted out.
“If IIUM students were to come up with a referendum to say that they want the SRC to function to fight this ALB implementation eventually, then I believe we should fight for their demands. But for now, I see that most are adapting to the new system,” Amir said.
Here’s a message to IIUM students from the SRC President: “I’m open to all of you, just voice out. Arrange a meeting with me and raise your concerns, and SRC will listen to students’ responses and we will pursue a solution.”
The currently implemented Standard Operating Procedure are as follows:
- Gate 1 (Main Entrance)
- Operation: 24 hours
- All staffs and students with car sticker & card activation/RFID
- Visitors and parents (Express visitor pass to be introduced)
- Motorcycles (ONLY during peak hours & after 12.00am)
- Gate 2 (Near BMI)
- Operation: 7.00am – 11.00p.m.
- All staffs, students with car sticker & activation card
- All motorcycles
- Visitors, parents, staffs/students that use public (Uber/Grab/Taxi)
- Gate 3 (Near grave)
- Operation: 7.00am – 12.00a.m.
- All staffs, students with car sticker & card activation
- Public transport & business purposes (bus, lorries, etc)
- All motorcycles
- Visitors, parents, staffs, students that use public transport (Uber/Grab/Taxi)
*NOTE: ALB WILL NOT BE IMPLEMENTED DURING PEAK HOURS
Morning: 7.00am – 9.00am
Lunch time: 12.30pm – 2.30pm
After office hours: 4.00 – 7.00pm
(P/S: All vehicles are allowed to use the main entrance during peak hours, except heavy vehicles like bus and lorry) ***